Sep 24, 2007

Bloggers using the reverse expression

These past days, I noticed the unusual appearance of several blogs which are all commenting at the same time on the same texts, particularly on a Tim Wise article which seeks to prove that "reverse racism" doesn't exist.
As I explained on my website in my article "Reverse racism Vs. Anti-white racism", I don't agree with the use of the expression "reverse racism". I think it's more appropriate to talk about "anti-white racism". the "reverse racism" expression actually promotes racist stereotypes against white people. Saying "reverse racism" implies there is a "norm" in racism (white people's racism toward other racial groups) and that racism is, somehow, a "white thing", which is wrong and prejudiced.
Because of the titles used by all these bloggers, I beleive they are currently on a class assignment. Indeed all their articles are titled "reading reflection #3". So I decided I'll reply to some of them. What is striking is that all these people seem to be presented only with one-sided arguments on racism which tend to frame White people.
So far,
  • I also gave a few usefull links to Samantha Arnold, her post was very uplifting : she actually displays a healthy skepticism.
  • I just found another article by Kevin Feola that's interesting as well. I like his argument that if only whites have the power to be "racists" as Tim Wise implies, how comes Afro-Americans and Latino-americans can be racists toward each other? I left him my usual "disclaimer" against the reverse expression.
  • I've now commented on anthony carace's blog and placed my usual disclaimer about "reverse expressions"

1 comment:

John Savage said...

Bruno, thanks for visiting my site and recommending that great article of yours. I added a link to your blog; hope it helps you get started. I hope to be back frequently.